Monday, October 18, 2010

Altar?

I've been hearing buzz about home altars and I wonder if this little spot in my home counts as an altar....

I have a table in my living room that I think of as my altar - It's a simple end table with a small ornamental pair of praying hands on it, they are holding a rolled up piece of paper that I wrote out the verse John 3:16 on - its years old and I don't dare take out the little role of paper for fear it will disintegrate from age...i also have a little tray on which I burn incense simply as a symbol of prayer - and I have a small tea light holder and I sometimes have one burning to symbolize the presence of God in my home or to symbolize a special prayer I've said (fire is a symbol of the Holy Spirit) there is an artificial oriental orchid on the table too - a precious gift from a beloved friend many years ago. I have it there because its pretty, no symbolism there that I can think of off the top of my head - and a small touch tone lamp for practical reasons.

that's it - that is my altar.

c.anna

No comments: