Monday, August 4, 2008

About Self Help Books

My psychiatrist suggested I start reading self help books several years ago when I confessed to him that I was struggling with feelings of shame and self hatred - and along with this were some really strong boundary issues.

At first I was offended thinking that he's the doctor and he should work with me regarding these things - not tell me to 'buy a book'.

Yet that session with my doctor started a self help book reading frenzy that has continued to this day. I must have read dozens over the years, and have culled my collection down to a few really outstanding resources that I return to often.

I've come to regard a really well done self help book (on whatever topic) written by someone credible (like with a Ph. D for example) as a few years of therapy for $50 or less (sometimes only $20). What a coup!

If I run into something that really sets me off - well that just makes my conversation all that much more interesting as I wrestle with some insight or idea that is new to me.

Do I recommend self help reading?

Absolutely.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, and I was certainly not thrilled to be prodded into reading them, but the rewards are too great to count.

c.anna

No comments: