Friday, August 1, 2008

Purely selfish motives

Over the last few years I've worked in entry level support work with people who struggle with mental health issues. I've taken classes, worked on crisis lines and enjoyed several years doing peer support.

When I graduated from college, I thought that I would comfort the hurting and inspire the down trodden with all my wonderful knowledge and newly learned skills.

I quickly learned that it was my clients that would be doing all the work - not only in helping themselves, but unwittingly helping me.

So many times someone would confide to me a dellusion or a compulsion and it would so happen that I also had suffered similar experiences but hadn't discussed it with anyone.

Almost every word that has come out of my mouth in support and comfort to another person has also been a support and comfort to myself - and not only that, but I learned that all my deepest secrets aren't unique to me.

Very humbling to learn this.

Now, I've come to understand, that when I sit down to talk with someone, I'll be hearing all about myself and I'll be exposed once again in someone else's experience.

c.anna

No comments: